Sunday, July 26, 2009

If you are a black woman that wears your natural hair....does that make you Afrocentric?

I don't how many times I've been called this by ppl who don't even know me. I wear my hair natural in locs or "dread"locs, but I mean I'm not obsessed with all these black/African. If wearing natural hair makes a black woman afrocentric, then does that apply to white women as well. White women that wear their natural hair are they Eurocentric?



If you are a black woman that wears your natural hair....does that make you Afrocentric?

Well I'm Italian and I'm Italian-centric so I grow out my chest hairs and give them a perm



If you are a black woman that wears your natural hair....does that make you Afrocentric?

It seems anything outside of following mainstream values is going to be labeled %26amp; looked at as abnormal therefore wrong. I can't believe black women wearing their hair in its natural state brings them criticism-no matter who its from.



If you're african %26amp; you center yourself on being who you are %26amp; liking %26amp; accepting it you're af(ro)frican centric same as if some one was of a different ethnicity %26amp; content with it.



If you are a black woman that wears your natural hair....does that make you Afrocentric?

Lol, that's true. I've seen many (even though I'm not black, based on what I've come across) pro-black women who wear their hair in blonde and red weaves and some of the coolest, most level-headed black women I personally know wear their hair naturally. Just look at Whoopi Goldberg, for instance. She wears dreads but she's cool with everyone.



Same with whites. Just because a white guy is bald or has a tattoo doesn't make him a skinhead or white supremacist. Maybe he just likes the look, who knows?



If you are a black woman that wears your natural hair....does that make you Afrocentric?

LOL! I'm called afro-centric cause of how I talk (my hair could be any old way and they'd still say I am LOL)



Anyway I wear my hair in natural braids, yes people comment about my hair, usually they stare.



BUt many men have said my hair was beautiful..



Some WOMEN have even asked me to do their hair for them..



If you are a black woman that wears your natural hair....does that make you Afrocentric?

...exactly.



and if you put a perm in your hair or wear weave, does that mean your trying to be white or that you are Eurocentric?



People always want to put you in a box.....I hate that..



If you are a black woman that wears your natural hair....does that make you Afrocentric?

No it doesn't make you Afrocentric. Afrocentricity, or Afrocentrism, is a world view which emphasizes the importance of African peoples in culture, philosophy, and history. So in other words being Afrocentric has NOTHING, absolutely nothing to do with whats on the outside. People got stuff messed up, a person could be Rasta'd out, wear cross colors, and Pooka shells but if that person does not have knowledge of self they cannot be "Afrocentric".



If you are a black woman that wears your natural hair....does that make you Afrocentric?

Um, people who are afrocentric simply try to emphasise the importance of African culture. I don't know if dreadlocs are even originally African, and if they were, one is free to wear their hair however they'd like without having any philosophy associated with it, one might simply like it that way. I wear my hair naturally and it happens to reflect my Irish genetics in the way it waves, but I don't think much of Ireland itself at all.



If you are a black woman that wears your natural hair....does that make you Afrocentric?

Not neccessarily. Hairdressers are really expensive and taking care of a perm is alot of worth. I keep my hair short, because it is easier and cheaper. However, it does make me look for Afrocentric and that is a plus.



If you are a black woman that wears your natural hair....does that make you Afrocentric?

Not at all! My girl has dreads and she is not Afrocentric at all. You kind of resemble her actually. Your exterior has nothing to do with afrocentricity.



If you are a black woman that wears your natural hair....does that make you Afrocentric?

yea they are eurocentric... if they wear their natural hair then yes they are



If you are a black woman that wears your natural hair....does that make you Afrocentric?

i have an afro, and people assume i'm afrocentric. its sad. i do think black is beautiful. i love the african in me, just as much as i love the native american and white in me. just because my hair is natural does not mean i'm afrocentric. i don't like when people assume this. its me not putting chemicals in my hair because they sting, and stunt my hair growth. not only that i could very well get an ailment or cancer from those chemicals. chemicals i can't pronounce. we are the only race with this hair, whooly hair, why not love it. people tend to like different anyways. how many people love a black woman with green eyes, or a white girl with an afro, the differences are loved. even though people say they don't like it. its their own fear and brainwashing. there can be a person who has an afro, and still likes blonde hair and blue eyes- light skin, over dark skin, so it doesn't necessarily mean a person is afrocentric. i've seen blonde dreads. it goes with weaves, just because a person wears a weave/perm doesn't mean they hate their natural hair. most people who do wear weaves and perms, most black women do hate their hair, and hate themselves. so that is true. it all has to do with history, history, and transcending race. its not a big deal for a white woman to get a tan or boob implants, to look more african, but its a big deal when a black woman wears a hair weave or afro. its such a twisted world we are living in. blacks hate themselves so much, in many cases, and don't think their own hair and skin coloring is beautiful. but you do you, and don't care what people think! when your a strong woman, people think your a feminist. i'm not a feminist, i'm a strong woman. why can't i be a strong woman without the words afrocentric or yet alone feminist?



keep your hair natural it does so much better, in growing and its the way it was meant to be. i'm sure you influence others to want to go natural with their hair.



peace and blessings.



If you are a black woman that wears your natural hair....does that make you Afrocentric?

DO you girl...the most intelligent women where their hair natural....(it really gets under white ppls skin, lol)



If you are a black woman that wears your natural hair....does that make you Afrocentric?

I have natural hair. I have never been called Afrocentric though, but I guess it probably has crossed some folks minds when they see me with my hair out



If you are a black woman that wears your natural hair....does that make you Afrocentric?

yes because you're an african



afrocentric suggests focusing on being african



africans don't need to focus on being african. they are already africans.



this does not mean it's a bad thing or a good thing. only those who have predisposed feelings, whether negative or positive, toward such words or labels put negative or positive connotations to such words or labels. it's not a criticism. it's only a criticism if you, the recipient, think that it is. the words or labels themselves don't suggest negative or positive connotations.

No comments:

Post a Comment